Friday 11 December 2015

Dreena's smoky sweet potato black bean salad

On the weekend I went out for dinner, leaving E and Sylvia to fend for themselves.  Our pantry offered little help.  The next supermarket visit found me buying boxes of curry, tins of baked beans and a jar of pasta sauce.  'Tis the season for convenience food, it seems.  Yes, we have had a few less home cooked meals than usual this week.  So I was really pleased with this Smoky Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad from Dreena Burton.

It was full of lovely flavours and textures and made a satisfying meal.  I cooked my sweet potato for quite some time and it was really soft.  So soft, in fact, that it made the salad almost a spread.  Great on a sandwich.  Not so good the next day when the sweet potato got a little watery.  Dreena calls it a clean eating salad.  Exactly what is needed in this season of excess.
 
I am sending this to Jac's Meatless Mondays.

More legume salads on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Energising buckwheat salad (gf, v)
Lentil salad with haloumi and asparagus (gf)
Mock tuna (chickpea) salad (gf, v)
'Morroccan' chickpea barley salad
(v)
Smoky potato, bean and corn salad (gf, v)
Strawberry and smoky chickpea salad (gf, v)
Taco salad with creamy dressing (gf)

Smoky sweet potato and black bean salad
Adapted from Let Them Eat Vegan (reproduced in Plant Powered Kitchen)
serves 4-6

2 medium baked sweet potato, peeled and cubed 
2 cups cooked black beans
1/2 cup kidney beans (or more black beans)
1 large red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
I large handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 small handful chives, finely sliced
juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp cider vinegar (or more lime juice)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sriracha or other hot sauce
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp allspice
freshly ground black pepper

Mix everything together.  I found this was best served on the day I made it as it was a bit mushy the next day.

On the Stereo:
Never Loved Elvis: The Wonder Stuff

13 comments:

  1. This looks lovely - just the thing to counter complicated and dense Christmas meals. It also sounds like something to suit your summer as well as our winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - we actually had it warm the second night because the sweet potato was so liquid and it worked

      Delete
  2. I like to balance the richer food of the season with something like this. The flavourings sound nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - a bit of balance helps at this time of year

      Delete
  3. Do you follow MJ's blog? She just posted a recipe with black beans and sweet potato! What a coincidence. Certainly some beautiful flavours when these two ingredients are combined xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - no I don't follow MJ's blog - black beans and sweet potatoes are a classic combination though so I am not surprised they are everywhere

      Delete
  4. Ooooh this sounds good!!!! It combines a lot of my favourites =)
    And your pictures are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I did my best because this was not a pretty salad - not with my mushy sweet potatoes

      Delete
  5. I don't mind mushy sweet potato bean bowls! :) I love the seasonings in this, going to have to bookmark this for later because I'm with you on the clean eating bandwagon - there's so much junk this time of year, that you've got to squeeze in the good stuff when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allysia - yep squeezing in the good stuff is the challenge at the this of year - esp when you work with a big box of chocolates right by the desk!!!!

      Delete
  6. Lovely. I had this bookmarked for a while so it is nice to know it lives up to the hype. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - I would make this again - though I would try to make it to eat all on the day as it wasn't so great for leftovers (but still nice)

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful looking salad. So colourful! I love sweet potato and it is combined here with some fantastic other flavours and textures. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)