Tuesday 10 November 2015

Pumpkin, almond and quinoa soup, days out and a bird's nest

Life is as up and down as our recent weather.  There are many unfortunate stories happening around me in which I only have a bit part and feel they are not mine to tell.  We have also been busy with some interesting events as well.  All in all, it has been crazy busy without so much time in the kitchen.  I am more likely to throw together a quick meal than follow a recipe or take notes to blog it.  I am glad I captured this pumpkin soup.  It almost flew under the radar.

Before telling you more about the soup, I will share a little about the good things in life.  Sylvia's school held an Art Show recently.  It was lovely to see all the artwork that the children have produced.  Sylvia showed us this wattle tree she had helped to make.

On the weekend, we went to The Garden Fiesta at Peppertree Place in Coburg.  It was a lovely local event.  There was music, food, friend, workshops, floral garlands all with a relaxed welcoming vibe.  I was pleased they were selling excellent vegie burritos and vegie tacos.

We also met up with my parents and three nieces to visit the Labassa open day in Caulfield.  It is an amazing ornate nineteenth century mansion (1862) that was made into 10 flats in 1920 and saved from demolition in 1980.  The old house has amazing stories.

As we walked through the many rooms, alternately marvelling at the detailed decorations and wondering at the flaking paint, E struck up a conversation with a self titled "living remnant".  The previous tenant was playing music and happy to talk about his days living in one of the flats.  We stopped for scones with jam and cream and a glass of cordial.  The temporary tea room was empty so we sat in a little pavillion in the grounds.  It was very relaxing.

This soup came in a week that was in need of comfort.  While I wont go into lots of details, I will say that it was too full of bad behaviour, bad luck and bad sleep.  Spectacles disappeared, there wasn't enough vegetables in my life and one of my favourite radio presenters, Richard Stubbs - who has brought much humour and compassion into my life - announced he was leaving.

I was grateful for a reflective moment in the midst of chaos.  Sylvia should have been reading her reader and practicing her ukulele.  Instead we lay on the grass and looked up at the clear blue sky and sought images in the twigs of the hedge and as we looked we discovered a bird's nest within the hedge.  Seeing the little baby birds in the nest was quite something.  It reminded us that there is often more happening in this world than we ever see.

I was also grateful for a simple soup that used up a wedge of pumpkin that had been lingering in the fridge.  It wasn't one I planned to blog but I loved it so much that I am sharing it.  It was inspired by this asparagus, potato and quinoa soup.  Rather than using potato for creaminess, I used almond butter.  It is very different from my idea of a good pumpkin soup that I posted years ago.  Yet you can't have too many pumpkin soups.

I had a bowl of this soup on an evening when I was feeling very tired.  It was very rich and creamy with a satisfying texture from the quinoa.  Even the warm orange colour was comforting.  I loved the soup but was not happy when I put the empty bowl beside me on the couch and the cat started to lick the bowl.  I guess even cats love this soup!

I am sending this to Lisa (and Jac) for No Croutons Required, Kimmy for Healthy Vegan Fridays #72, Jac for Meatless Mondays, Janie (and Karen) for Tea Time Treats, and Corina for Cook Once Eat Twice.

More pumpkin soup recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Classic pumpkin soup
Japanese-style pumpkin, sprouts and tofu soup
Pumpkin, corn and wild rice chowder
Pumpkin facon soup 
Pumpkin and tofu laksa
Smoky pumpkin and corn soup 

Pumpkin, almond and quinoa soup
An original recipe by Green Gourmet Giraffe
Serves 4-6

1/2 cup quinoa
1-2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 parsnip, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 red capsicum, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
750ml stock
800g pumpkin, trimmed and peeled
3 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp lemon juice
sriracha and herbs, to serve

Put on quinoa with 1 cup of water.  Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer on low for 20 minutes.  Once cooked, leave lid on until ready to use.  While quinoa cooks, begin making the soup.

Heat oil in a large saucepan.  Fry onion, celery, parsnip, carrot, capsicum and garlic until softened - approximately 5 to 10 minutes.  (I added mine as I chopped them, in the order as written.)  Add stock and pumpkin.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes until pumpkin is soft.  Mix in almond butter, yeast flakes and lemon juice.  Blend until smooth.

Stir in quinoa.  Check and adjust seasoning.  Serve with a drizzle of sriricha and fresh herbs, if desired.  I used thyme.

On the Stereo:
Set List - The Frames

29 comments:

  1. yet again I miss two events (because I forgot about them) that I'd planned to see! Oh well, there's always next year... that soup really does look lovely and the ingredients are fab, love the inclusion of almond butter! Sorry to hear there were negatives for you and may this week bring you many positives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - yes there is always next year - so much on! the almond butter added just the substance it needed

      Delete
  2. IT sounds like a lovely comforting soup. I love the inclusion of the almond butter - It must make the soup deliciously creamy. Thank you for joining in with Cook Once Eat Twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corina - the almond butter made it creamy and rich - and used up some almond butter that had been there too long

      Delete
  3. Your soup looks delicious, and this would be a very comforting meal for me too. The sriracha swirled on top adds such great colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - it was indeed great comfort food

      Delete
  4. I could (and do) eat pumpkin anything at this time of year. I like the idea of using almond butter here! Nice and simple hearty soups are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allysia - I feel the same way about pumpkin

      Delete
  5. I just adore the bright color of that soup! The art show is such a great idea. And those scones- ooh, so inviting. Hope things settle down- have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nupur - the scones were really lovely

      Delete
  6. I completely agree that you can't have too many pumpkin soup recipes! They come from so many places -- Caribbean island recipes, regional French recipes, North American recipes, and of course Australian recipes. I was amazed years ago when I saw pumpkin soup on a restaurant sign board in Sydney... but now I know it's everywhere.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - I always thought pumpkin soup was very Australian and was surprised to find it in so many other places through blogging (after finding it hard to get in the UK)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you desperately needed this soup. It looks delicious and I wish I could magic a pot up without having to actually prepare it (not that it is a complicated recipe but sometimes it would be nice to have things make themself). I hope life calms down for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I understand that a pot of soup appearing magically would be a wonderful thing when very busy

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you've been having some trying times. I do love Sylvia's artwork. That mansion is incredible and I'm so glad it wasn't demolished. The soup looks very comforting xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I am always grateful to people who save these lovely old houses - including the unions in sydney with the green bans!

      Delete
  9. You're right.... You can't have too many pumpkin soups! The almond sounds like a good addition..... adds extra nutrition too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - pumpkin soups are wonderful in all their versions indeed

      Delete
  10. Realising that we are just a small part of the world can only be a good thing. I think it's easy to get caught up in our own dramas at times. I'm as guilty as anyone else. What a delicious looking soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - yes we do get very caught up in our own little storms in teacups - a bit of a perspective is always helpful

      Delete
  11. Pumpkins and sriracha? I'm sold! I'm definitely having a pumpkin moment over here. I'm going to have to explore the Japanese pumpkin soup recipe over there - I love Japanese flavours with pumpkin. How lucky to see that nest too - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I have made the japanese style pumpkin soup a few times and love it with noodles or rice

      Delete
  12. Bad luck and bad sleep definitely require a yummy soup - and this one sounds GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - pumpkin soup solves many problems :-)

      Delete
  13. "There are many unfortunate stories happening around me in which I only have a bit part and feel they are not mine to tell."
    I hope by this point things are straightening out :(
    Sylvia's wattle tree is beautiful - much better than some adult's art I have seen ;p
    The soup sounds divine. It is the perfect meal for the weather we are starting to get. I know I shouldn't complain as it is so much colder other places, but I am really starting to crave soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - things have calmed down in that the bad news has slowed down but life is still hectic - I really loved the wattle tree - and I love soups in any season but they are great in cool weather to warm you up - sounds like you are in need of soup

      Delete
  14. This looks delicious. Love the idea of adding quinoa to a soup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you shared this recipe. Beautiful. Take care and thanks for sharing with NCR.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with not having too many pumpkin soup recipes, one little tweak and you've got a whole new expeience! Thanks so much for sharing with the Tea Time Treats linky party, so feel free to come and see what everyone else shared too :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)