Friday 27 February 2015

Apricot, nectarine and vanilla jam

Apricots are all the more precious for having such a short season.  Which might explain my impulsive decision to buy apricots for jam making shortly before Christmas.  Even so, I don't know what sort of insanity propelled me to make jam on Christmas Eve.  Yet I am glad of it.  Being able to enjoy a piece of home made bread with home made jam is one of life's little pleasures.

I didn't have quite as many apricots as I wanted so I added some nectarines.  Being Christmas Eve, I thought maybe I could give this away as gifts.  So I added some vanilla to make it a bit more fancy.  I have enough jam making experience for the process to be fairly straightforward.

My main problem was that it took a long time to thicken up.  Reading about jam making since then, I have wondered if adding the sugar later might have helped or perhaps it was because I use less sugar than most recipes recommend.  I have also read that ripe fruit has better pectin for setting than overripe fruit so maybe my fruit was too mushy.  I think it might have taken almost 2 hours which seems crazy on Christmas Eve.  At 7pm I was ladling the jam into jars and quite relieved to have them done.

Later that evening while watching Carols by Candlelight on the telly I gift-wrapped and labeled the jams.  However I wasn't terribly organised and hadn't thought through who I was giving presents to and most of those who might have appreciated it were people I had already seen.  Perhaps subconsciously this was my way of leaving more for me!

Christmas Eve seems so far away, as does the heyday of apricot season when I was buying oodles of juicy apricots and my brother was gifting me a bag of them from his tree.  However that is the joy of preserving fruit.  When I opened my first jar of this jam, it tasted like memories of sweet juicy apricots.  None of that ridiculously sweet jam from the supermarket.  I add less sugar to my jam so I can taste the fruit better.

I am very partial to apricot jam and cream cheese on sourdough bread.  A friend introduced me to the combination on a visit to Washington DC many years ago and I often think of her when I eat it.  I have thought about baking cakes or slices with the jam but it is so good that I just want to eat it on toast.

As I still have much to learn, I am sharing some useful advice about jam making:

I am also sending this jam to Karen at Lavender and Lovage who co-hosts Tea Time Treats with Jane of the Hedgecombers.  This month the theme is Toast, On Toast and Toasties.  (And thanks to Jane for featuring my lego biscuits on the Lunch Boxes Tea Time Treats round up)

More jam recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:

Apricot, nectarine and vanilla jam
Makes 6 jars (approximately 1 cup each)

1 kg apricots
1 kg nectarines
2 scant cups castor sugar
2 vanilla pods
juice of 1 lemon

Stone and dice fruit. Mix with remaining ingredients and gently simmer until fruit drops off the spoon in rather than runs off as a liquid (or when you place a spoonful on a chilled saucer you can run your finger through and leave a clean line rather than jam pooling back).  It took me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Bottle jam using this method or your own way (such as the dishwasher).  Keeps about 6 months to 12 months.

On the Stereo:
Ivor Cutler Radio Clash Special 2006

27 comments:

  1. I know someone in my home who would have loved to be a recipient of your homemade apricot jam :) I've never tried the combo of cream cheese and apricot jam on toast, but have tried apricots and Brie in a panini which was rather nice, so can just imagine how lovely this is. Have a good weekend, I've got a busy one coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - apricot and brie sounds like an amazing combination - reminds me of this recipe I bookmarked a while ago http://www.withaspin.com/2014/10/15/fast-and-fabulous-apricot-bites/ - hope you had a good weekend - ours was busy too

      Delete
  2. Jam on Christmas eve! That is really rather impressive (and daunting to consider). I adore apricots and would love this. Your jars look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I specially bought jars with gifts in mind! And I think I must have been more organised on christmas eve than usual or perhaps I just thought I would experienced enough to make it easy!

      Delete
  3. Very impressive! I love apricot jam, I have always preferred apricots in most sweet things (apricot Danish over apple any day) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - I prefer apricots too but have learnt that they just aren't about that much and that is why they are less common in baked goods - should preserve more in their short season

      Delete
  4. Corrrr, I bet that jam tastes gorgeous and I have to agree with Kari, waaaay too daunting for me to consider making jam on xmas eve! I bet the upside was that your kitchen smelt heavenly of xmas morning :)
    Janie x
    PS I bought a jar of apricot jam form the supermarket recently and will probably end up binning it if I can't think of a bake to hide it in. It is a massive disappointment :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie - supermarket jam and homemade are worlds apart - hope you can find a use for yours (glazing a cake?) and there is something lovely and homely about making jam

      Delete
  5. Not sure what happened to my last comment so I'll try again....this looks so lovely, I can almost taste it! I have such fond memories of homemade jam from my Granny at her farm. Apricot jam and fig jam were always my favourites, though I loved the strawberry and mulberry jams as well. On fresh bread with cream, oh what a treat...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - your granny's farm sounds heavenly - my grandmother had an apricot tree and it brings back wonderful memories but never had fig trees in my childhood - if I did I might love them more now. And I remember jam and cream on fresh white bread as a treat in my childhood - never do it now but when I think of it I just wish for it and all the joy that went with it.

      Delete
  6. You are always so busy stuffing us with deliciousness, Johanna. Apricot Jam sounds lovely right at the moment. It doesn't have to be Christmas time to yearn for it at all!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - the apricots seemed so cheap just before Christmas so the timing was a bit awkward but it is lovely to be able to enjoy them in jam for months to come.

      Delete
  7. You must be bonkers! Jam-making on Christmas Eve? Still.... you're reaping the rewards now! This jam sounds full of amazing flavours and looks delicious. I can totally see how it would be great with cream cheese and sourdough! Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - there are many rewards for the crazy jam making! (but this is one reason that having summer and Christmas at separate times of year in the Northern Hemisphere is a good thing!)

      Delete
  8. I love to watch those Carols too and I'm always so sad when they end. I can't believe you took on jam making on Christmas Eve! Are there not enough challenges on Christmas Eve? I'm super-impressed. Very well done and I think the combination of apricots and nectarines with a bit of vanilla is wonderful. What a beautiful gift xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - the carols are great to watch because they are fun but also because I can wrap presents while they are on without having to concentrate on the telly too much - and perhaps there just weren't enough challenges for me on Christmas eve this year and I had to create some :-)

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous combination of fruits and beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homemade jam is the best, isn't it. I am impressed with how little sugar you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - sometimes I worry how well the jam lasts with less jam but it seems ok - I did read the less jam means it is likely to last only 6 months rather than 12 months but we can get through the jam in that time

      Delete
  11. I love making jam-I'm not sure why but there's something really satisfying about making something sweet that prolongs your favourite fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lorraine - yes it is very satisfying to eat jam I have made myself - nice to know what it in it and that the fruit can be enjoyed for longer!

      Delete
  12. Oooh I have never made jam before. It's not apricot season here yet, but in a few months I'll have to try making this. It looks like it makes lovely gifts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love looking at your blog and reminding myself what will be coming into season in about six month! I love apricots and peaches - they all seem so far away. Luckily, I still have some of last summer's fruit as jam tucked away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a stunning combo for jam! I miss Aussie apricots so much. g fan of jam with cream cheese on bread here too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)