Thursday 16 October 2014

Vegan choc chip cookies with smoked almonds and cacao nibs


There is great satisfaction in being organised in the kitchen.  I can  go for days and days without the right vegetables or snacks and then I suddenly switch into domestic goddess mode.  It happened yesterday.  I baked choc chip cookies and sourdough bread and put a lot of it in the freezer.  I've done all the grocery shopping I need.  I feel unusually virtuous.  (Just don't look at my carpets.  I'll do them later!)*

These chocolate chip cookies with smoked almonds and cacao nibs were actually a repeat of those I made on my visit to Adelaide.   I feel good about that.  It can often take me ages to repeat a recipe despite good intentions.  Yet fate took a hand when I found a neglected packet of smoked almonds.

Then I bought choc chips on the way home and was all set.  Except for eggs.  I haven't had eggs in the kitchen for a few weeks.  Perhaps they just haven't felt so necessary in my life after seeing Kari could even make lemon meringue pie without eggs.  Though Sylvia recently has expressed a fondness for boiled eggs so they might reappear soon.  Meanwhile a couple of flax 'eggs' worked well.

When I made these biscuits at Yaz's place, they were quite darkly coloured.  After the suggested 10 minutes, they still looked quite pale after cooking in my oven.  (If only I could compare ovens for every recipes I blog!)  So I left them a few more minutes.

They came out and looked slightly domed.  I have written before that a good choc chip cookie looks slightly wrinkled like the skin of a pug dog.  After 5 or 10 minutes the cookies sunk pleasingly.  They were wrinkly delicious.  I was really pleased with their texture: slightly chewy about the edges, firm enough to keep their shape but soft and nubbly with the nuts, nibs and chips. 

The cookies are quite sweet but I think I should have followed Joanne's lead and sprinkled the dough with smoked salt.  I have tried sprinkling smoked salt on a cold cookie and it works well.  I have added the smoked salt to the recipe even though I didn't use it.  And even with the extra salt I think less sugar would be fine in these cookies.

These cookies aren't technically vegan because the choc chips I used were not vegan.  I used dark choc chips and also some caramel chips that Sylvia requested.  I don't think I would use the caramel chips again.  They probably contributed to the sweetness of the cookies.  If you want vegan cookies you could easily do this by using vegan chocolate.


So I can highly recommend these sweet, smoky, salty, nubbly cookies to you.  We have a pleasingly large stash in the freezer as they make heaps.  They are up there with the almond butter choc chip cookies as the most successful vegan choc chip cookie I have made.  We all loved them.  In fact I have a feeling this will not be the last time I make these cookies.  After all if they are good enough to make twice in a few weeks then that is proof this recipe is a keeper!

I am sending these cookie to the Biscuit Barrel Challenge at I'd Much Rather Bake Than....  This month the theme is Comfort.  And aren't choc chip cookies always comforting!  I am also sending it to Vohn's Vittles for Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary's No Food Waste Challenge.  Not only did the smoked almonds need using but the cacao nibs were bought in 2008!

*Update: the domestic goddess feeling never lasts long - today I forgot about some soup I had simmering and when I came home 3 hours later it was very burnt.  Dinner was like a mash that we scraped off the top.  I hope (and think) my saucepan will survive!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: The Getting of Wisdom Birthday Cake
Two years ago: Vegan Sweet potato and cheeze scones
Three years ago: CC Tamarind Tempeh with Noodles
Four years ago: Spinach Rice Gratin
Five years ago: All About Apples: history, culture and soup
Six years ago: Milestones and Rissoles

Chocolate chip cookies with smoked almonds and cacao nibs
Adapted from Eats Well With Others
Makes about 36 medium cookies

2 tbsp ground linseed (flax)
6 tbsp water
250g vegan margarine (I used Nuttalex)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (or less)
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 cups plus 3 tbsp plain flour
1 1/2 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups choc chips (I used 1 cup dark and 1 cup caramel)
1 cup smoked roasted almonds, finely chopped*
1/2 cup cacao nibs
smoked sea salt, for sprinkling

Put together the 2 flax eggs by mixing linseed (or flax) and water in a small bowl.  Set aside so it becomes gloopy.

Preheat oven to 180 C or 350 F.  Line a few oven trays with baking paper.

Cream margarine and sugars (I used electric beaters).  Add flax eggs and cider vinegar.  Beat until combined.  Stir in flour, bicarb and salt.  Gently mix in choc chips, smoked almonds and cacao nibs.

Drop slightly heaped tablespoonfuls of dough onto lined trays leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.  I only put about 8 onto my smaller oven trays which usually bake about 12 biscuits.  They will spread.  Sprinkle dough with smoked salt

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

* I find smoked almonds easy to find in the shops but from the comments it seems this is not the case with everyone.  If you don't have smoked almonds you could make some using this smoked nuts recipe or just substitute roasted almonds and maybe a drop of liquid smoke as well as the smoked salt.  The smokiness of the smoked almonds isn't that detectable but I think it does add to the depth of flavour.

On the Stereo:
Son of Evil Reindeer: The Reindeer Selection

27 comments:

  1. Ohh, it would be dangerous having these sitting in the freezer calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johanna!
    I haven't been organized in the kitchen for years, lol...Good for you:) As for the carpets...

    Your cookies sure do sound good. I love the notion of smoked almonds. I bet they added a nice layer of depth to the cookies. I'll have to look for them at the store.

    I haven't tried the flax 'eggs' yet but I did bake thumbprints substituting avocado for the some of the butter. It worked like a charm:) I'm going to try the flax 'eggs' real soon. Today I posted an apple cake recipe where I used egg whites which really worked out well. If you get a chance, pop over and see:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Johanna. I'm wondering, do you have a suggestion for a recipe I should try using the flax 'eggs' . I'm a bit nervous about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - You are doing a great job of your healthy baking - hope you get to try flax eggs - there are lots of flax egg cakes about though I don't think I have heaps on my blog - but these cookies would probably work if you wanted to start with them.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to try the flax "eggs" after Halloween, Johanna. I'd really like to test them out before holiday baking time. I saved these cookies too:)

      Thanks again, Johanna...

      Delete
  3. They look delicious. I love the speckled look and the sound of the smoked almonds. A real sophisticated cookie while still being fun and packed with chocolate. yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound really perfect! I never used cacao nibs, but they sound like a really wonderful addition to these cookies. And yay for being organised! I had such a day yesterday and now I feel weird because there's nothing to do. But that never lasts long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - I have not used my cacao nibs much but I really love them in these cookies so might try using them more this way. I had one of those moments last week where I got myself so organised I wasn't quite sure what to do - doesn't last long here either

      Delete
  5. That virtuous feeling is hard to beat. I just wished it lasted longer! It seems as soon as I am organised with clear floors and washed clothing, I spill something on the floor or realise I don't have any carrots. These cookies would help in such moments though - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it would be nice if it lasted longer (as I added at the end of the post - I then went and left a saucepan on the stove for 3 hours when I forgot to turn off the gas flame that night - oops!)

      Delete
  6. Way to go on keeping the cacao nibs that long... and finding a keeper of a repeater recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - I didn't really mean to keep the cacao nibs so long but just didn't get so enthused about them - honestly this is the best way I had used them and keen to use them in cookies like this again

      Delete
  7. Yummo - these look terrific. The caramel chips are quite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed that you vegan-ified these! They are one of my favorite cookies. So glad you liked them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - it is just my sort of cookie with all the textures - we are racing through the batch in the freezer! I even tested them on a friend of Sylvia's who loved them too.

      Delete
  9. What a great combination of ingredients! I love the addition of smoked almonds and cacao nibs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great vegan cookies. I think they look really good - full of flavour and texture. I haven't tried adding smoked salt to my biscuits xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I am really getting into combining smoky and chocolate - salt is just a little bonus :-)

      Delete
  11. Chocolate chip cookies absolutely are the ultimate comfort! I've never tried smoked almonds but now I need to hunt out a packet to try - I imagine they give baked goods an extra depth of flavour. Thanks for sharing them with the Biscuit Barrel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - smoked almonds are great for snacking on - we all love them here

      Delete
  12. These cookies look really good! And yes I find that the results vary so much depending on ovens. A bit disconcertingly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look fabulous Johanna. I still haven't found a choc chip cookie recipe I'm happy with, so I might just try this. I've no idea about smoked almonds though - I wonder if they are available here in the UK - they sound rather good. But I guess I could just roast some and use a little salt. Hmmm, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette - I suspect you will prefer these with a bit less sugar but I think you would enjoy the cookies - I have a recipe for smoked nuts and seeds that you could use to make your own smoked almonds - not as powdery as the shop ones but probably healthier. Will add link to bottom of recipe.

      Delete
  14. OMG these dotty cookies are beyond delicious - I love the addition of smoked roasted almonds and cacao nibs for texture! I have a jar of cacao nibs to use up, I think I have an idea to use them now, thanks! Can you send them over to Pacific Northwest ASAP? I apologize for my delayed comments, I've been abroad for a month lately! I hope you're doing well, Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rika - highly recommend using the cacao nibs this way - no problem about delayed comments - really appreciate you catching up - will be teaching cookies to fly to get to you pronto - ha ha!

      Delete
  15. They look delicious. I have a cup of coffee beside me and am dreaming about having one of your cookies with it too! Thanks for such a lovely entry into the #NoWasteFoodChallenge

    ReplyDelete
  16. I eat smoked almonds by the bucketload, so this is really up my street. What a cool idea. And I have some choc chips in the pantry calling my name...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)