Sunday 20 July 2014

Sourdough banana oat pancakes

It was a cool autumn morning with a banana to use up.  That calls for banana oat pancakes.  This is my easy way of using up smelly old bananas and pleasing Sylvia.  I hadn't been baking much sourdough bread.  I don't like to discard the starter so I just feed it up and find a purpose.  Usually that is flatbreads.  I thought I would try tossing it into the pancakes.

Most of the pancakes were small but I made a large one at the end when I had had enough of frying.  However, they fried quite quickly and soon we had a plate piled with pancakes.  They were a bit flatter than my usual version and also not overly sweet.

I had stewed some plums the night before.  This meant the pancakes were fancier than the usual lemon and sugar or maple syrup.  I had a pile of three pancakes with plums and vanilla yoghurt.  It was scrumptious.  Then I had seconds.  And was very full.

Now we were ready for the day.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Healthy banana bread and kids making do
Two years ago: WW Tofu nut balls and princesses
Three years ago: CC Vegetarian Moussaka
Four years ago: Fish and chips – reflections of a vegetarian
Five years ago: SHF Apricot sponge – by any other name
Six years ago: Vegetarian Cassoulet
Seven years ago: Mushroom Yoghurt Pie with Spinach Crust

Sourdough banana oat pancakes
Adapted from our favourite banana oat pancakes
Serves 4 to 6

30g butter
2 tsp golden syrup (or other sweetener)
1 banana, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
butter, for frying

Melt butter.  Mix in golden syrup and banana, then egg.  Mix sourdough starter, oats and baking powder.  (My batter was thickish and quick blobby rather than a pouring consistency.)

Heat a frypan over medium heat.  Melt a little butter (about 1/2 tsp) in the frypan and use the back of a spoon to spread it about evenly.  Drop dessertspoons of batter into the frypan.  (Or two spoonfuls for a slightly bigger pancake.) Fry a few minutes until bubbles appear.  Flip over and fry another minute or two until the other side is golden brown.  Serve warm with your choice of toppings.

On the Stereo:
Talking with the Taxman about Poetry: Billy Bragg

23 comments:

  1. Hehe I have two old and overripe bananas to use too! Thanks for the idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - good luck with those old bananas :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! Loving the sound of these, and your stewed plums look like a gorgeous accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - those plums were glorious - I just wish that plums were still in season now - loved having tubs of stewed plums in the fridge

      Delete
  3. I have a stock of overripe bananas in the freezer that we've been using for smoothies and banana "ice cream."

    I sure wouldn't mind using my next batch of overripe bananas in pancakes though. I have never tried it but I'm sure they would work out quite weel, just look at yours! I don't have sourdough starter on hand but I do have fresh yogurt which I'm sure will work just as well. Usually when I use yogurt in pancakes, I let it sit for about an hour before making the pancakes. I find it not only makes them light and fluffy, it also makes them have a bit more height. I wonder if it would be the same with sourdough starter?

    Thank you so much for sharing, Johanna. Now, I'm wanting some of those stewed plums for banana pancakes, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I got into the overripe bananas in the fridge for a while but try to avoid them with these banana oat pancakes (whether the sourdough version or my regular version that you can link to from the recipe) I don't think I have tried these with yoghurt but I have tried a few other variations and it is a fairly robust recipe. Maybe I should try some of my favourite vanilla yoghurt in pancakes - would taste great - thanks for the suggestion - wish I had some fresh yoghurt!

      Delete
    2. Hi Johanna,
      Marion and I had breakfast for dinner last night and I made your pancakes only I used the fresh yogurt. They were delicious! Marion just loved them. I would gladly share some homemade yogurt with you, come on over, lol...Will you be making fresh yogurt any time soon? I just saw a recipe for yogurt souffle that I would love to also try. Thanks Johanna and Marion thanks you too:)

      Delete
  4. These look like my perfect pancakes! I love them served with fruit and yoghurt rather than mountains of syrup. Great way to use up some starter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - fruit and yoghurt is wonderful - a drizzle of syrup would work with this but is not at all necessary.

      Delete
  5. Nom nom nom, good way to start the morning :) I would really love some of these right now. I am waiting on a delivery and have not had brekkie yet, I think though it will be a bowl of porridge today, nuts as the sun is shining, but i will throw on some homegrown raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - porridge is our usual breakfast - and E often has porridge and pancakes when I am flipping pancakes. Enjoy the sunshine (hope that delivery didn't take too long) and home grown raspberries sound wonderful

      Delete
  6. I do find that pancakes (or pikelets as the tend to be here) beg at me to eat more and then once I've done so, fullness arrives belatedly! They are so easy to eat though, and these ones look lovely. The idea of adding in starter is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - pancakes and pikelets are all too easy to eat - and there is a lot about starter being easier to digest so I like to think it makes these pancakes healthy but am not sure.

      Delete
  7. These look so lovely with the stewed plums! But I admit I am a bit scared of sourdough starter because I am so unfamiliar with it. I'll have to try your banana and oat pancakes. We are big fans of pancakes in this household, but I tend to get stuck making the same ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I have tried a vegan version of the banana oat pancakes - I really like trying new pancakes but Sylvia is very determined that I make these and they are really useful when we have a manky banana. I was scared about sourdough starter when I first made it but it is great to have for pizza and bread and I am just starting to experiment with baking cakes and pancakes with it. But you do need a little time and energy for it. At least there are alternatives to sourdough.

      Delete
  8. Yum! I would love a plate of these pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I keep meaning to do banana pancakes but never get around to it. Must keep an eye on bananas more instead of finding them too overripe and just chucking them in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - I am sure you could do banana pancakes with defrosted bananas from the freezer - I don't like overripe bananas in smoothies so I tend to bake with them or make pancakes and pancakes is so much easier than cake :-)

      Delete
  10. Overripe bananas are the best, they are a useful ingredient in baked goods! I haven’t had pancakes for several months now, now I want to make some with that delicious stewed plums of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was searching for an easy recipe to use my starter discard and so glad I found this one! I just cooked up a batch and eating a couple right now...so good! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)