Sunday 17 November 2013

NCR Curried red lentil and apricot soup


I bought the first fresh apricots of the season last week.  They were gorgeous.  I took them to a friend's place.  I shared them with my mum.  Sylvia and I gobbled them down.  They are a rare treat.  Thank goodness for dried apricots so we can enjoy the amazing flavours of apricots all year round.  They are so good in so many recipes, both savoury and sweet.

When I saw that Lisa was calling for vegetarian soups or salads that other bloggers have made, for the monthly No Croutons Required blog event that she hosts with Jacqueline, it was a tyranny of choice.  I have an overwhelming amount of bookmarks.  So many that I probably could cook three a day and never get through them. 

I noticed that I had two bookmarked dinner recipes using dried apricots on my recipe planning notes.  I remembered I had some dried apricot soups bookmarked in my early days of blogging when I wrote bookmarks into MS Word documents.  Before Delicious, Pinterest and Eat Your Books made life easier.

It was time to make that soup with dried apricots.  I chose one by Janet at the taste space who is constantly posting interesting recipes.  I made some changes.  A little less ginger, a little more tomato, rather more salt.  Yet it was still a thick satisfying lentil soup with a complex sweetness from the dried apricots.  Wonderful.  More please!

More savoury recipes for dried apricots:

Curried Red Lentil and Apricot Soup
Adapted from Ravi Soups via the taste space
serves 4

1 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
1 tbsp curry powder
4 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 cup passata (sieved tomatoes)
40g dried apricots, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste (I used 1 and 1/2 tsp salt)
1/3 cup of coconut milk
coriander, garnish

Heat oil over low heat in a large saucepan. Fry onion for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in garlic and ginger for a minute. Stir in curry for another minute. Add water, red lentils, passata, dried apricots and salt. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Add coconut milk and roughly blend - a little texture is nice. Serves warm garnished with coriander.

On the Stereo:
Absent Friends: The Divine Comedy

19 comments:

  1. What a delicious idea. I've never thought of adding apricots to a soup or dal recipe before, but I supose indian often adds mango chutney etc. Would love to try this, could do with a bowl now, its cold and wet here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I quite like fruit in savoury dishes - once threw some stewed peaches into a soup and it worked (surprisingly) :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, I love the look of this! Definitely not apricot season here, so I'm glad this is a dried fruit version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - apricot season is never long enough :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh how lucky you were to have a taste of the first apricots of the season, Johanna. Precious indeed...

    This lentil soup recipe is simply amazing. Never, would I think to add dried apricots. What a sweet idea! I'm sure it is/was a hit wherever it was enjoyed. I'll definitely be "bookmarking" this one. Better yet, I'm off to Pin it!

    Thanks for sharing, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - it is only recently I have discovered how much better apricots are at farmers markets than supermarket - makes the first apricot of the season even better :-)

      Delete
  4. I can not wait for my first apricot of the season. As a child, they were my favourite fruit and whilst I now have a few contenders for that category (plums and mangoes and nectarines as well as apricots) I still adore them. They are still too pricey to justify here but this soup looks like just the thing to use the dried sort for! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - so many apricots are disappointing these days - hope you have a good source - makes a huge difference - I still remember eating them fresh off my grandmother's tree and they were amazing - which is why it is hard to match my childhood memory of apricots. thank goodness for dried apricots

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of this - sweet and savoury is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sweetness of apricots would be so wonderful! And hubby loves apricots so he'd really like it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - the sweetness of apricots is always wonderful - hope Mr NQN loves the soup

      Delete
  7. I have so many bookmarked recipes, too! And totally tickled that you picked one of my recipes, especially one that seems so weird. I am happy you liked it to, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - I love your 'weird' recipes - these offbeat recipes in blogging are just why I stay around the blogosphere - they make cookbooks and magazines look boring :-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely! I too have many many bookmarked recipes. As it turns out, my contribution to NCR this month is also inspired by one of Janet's recipes. Thanks for joining in this month. I always admire your culinary creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - I am sure many of us bookmark lots of Janet's recipes - there is always something on her blog of interest. And loved the NCR theme this month - glad to be in it

      Delete
  9. What a great idea, never thought of this combination before - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic - it is funny that I had bookmarked a similar flavour combination years ago and never made the soup - glad I have now as I can highly recommend it

      Delete
  10. This looks wonderful! I've never used dried apricots in cooking but I imagine they go wonderfully well with lentils and curry spice! :) Want to try that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)