Thursday 21 June 2012

WHB Apple and mince crumble

Last week when we were driving home, Sylvia asked if we would be home soon.  "We just need to drive past the lions and dragons," I told her.  It made me smile.  The lions are on gateposts and the dragon is on a gable.  Yet I loved how it sounds like we are in a children's story book.

I love the wonder in a child's view of the world.  This week when I hung out the washing (in a brief reprieve from all our recent rain), Sylvia was watering the plants.  I told her it was called mint.  "Do we make mint pie?" she asked. An odd comment.  Then I remembered I had made mince pies recently. 

The fruit mince is leftover from Christmas baking.  I am quite impressed that my mince lasted so long.  (The last bit of pudding in the fridge went mouldy I regret to say.)  I chanced upon this recipe for Delia's Apple, Almond and Mincemeat Crumble. It was just the way that I fancied using some mince.  I used a lot more than Delia and loved how it made the apple taste special with all the spices, fruit and nuts that are in my fruit mince.  I made it while Sylvia had her bath.

The apple and mince crumble was a great idea.  I wasn't too sure about the crumble topping at first.  I prefer an oaty crumble topping.  I decided to cut corners and used ground almonds.  Next time I will use finely chopped almonds for more texture.  I also misread the recipe and used plain rather than self raising flour.  The crumble mixture was more like sawdust than clumps and I was glad I had made less than the recipe suggested as there was plenty.

Once the crumble cooled it was like a slab of biscuit on the apple mixture.  E was not keen, Sylvia was ambivalent but I loved it in small amounts microwaved after a meal.  I still have some fruit mince left.  The mince tarts were good but I want to try another batch with a different pastry.  Stay tuned...

I am sending this crumble to Simone of Bricola who is hosting this week's Weekend Herb Blogging #339, the weekly event coordinated by Haalo and founded by Kalyn.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Kale pesto and garden update
Two years ago: SHF Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Three years ago: Refugee Week Stew
Four years ago: Novel Food 4: Drowned Broccoli
Five years ago: SHF: Mud Glorious Mud (cake)

Apple almond and mincemeat crumble
Adapted from Delia Online
Serves about 9 in small servings

1 lb 8 oz (700 g) Granny Smith or cooking apples (I used about 7-8)
8 oz (225 g) Red apples (such as fuji or pink lady - I used about 1 and a half)
1 dessertspoon of brown sugar
2/3 cup fruit mince

For the crumble:
80g finely chopped almonds (I used ground almonds but they were too fine)
65 g cold diced butter (or more)
120g plain flour (or use SR flour like Delia)
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 dessertspoon brown sugar

custard or cream, to serve

Peel, quarter, core and slice apples.  Cook apple slices with a spoonful of brown sugar in a medium saucepan - bring to the boil and simmer about 10 minutes or until apples are just soft.  Stir in fruit mince.  Spoon into a medium baking dish (mine is about 23cm squared).

To make crumble mix flour, ground almonds, cinnamon and brown sugar.  Rub butter into flour mixture.  Press crumble on top of the apples then run a fork over the top to rough it up a little.

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 200 C until golden brown.  Keep an eye on it as mine became quiet brown in 35 minutes.  Ours kept almost a week in the fridge and was delicious heated in the microwave but we had it with custard on the first night.

On the Stereo:
Junior choice, volume 2: Various artists

11 comments:

  1. lions and dragons:) thats so cute -- it does sound like a children's story:) and those little pies are so cute! i love the star on top! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks gf happy tummy - I really added the stars because it was less pastry but it does make them look pretty

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of adding apple to mince tarts...and crumble for that matter. Especially as I'd be inclined to skip the mince and just have apple, and I like crumble more than most pastry I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I never thought to add the apple to mince pies but now you mention it, I love the idea - have just finished the last of my fruit mince - though surely I don't need to wait til christmas to make more :-)

      Delete
  3. I really love the way that kids think! I'd love to do a kid's talk show just interviewing children. I find the way they think fascinating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I can't wait until you get your talk show happening - I will be queuing up for a ticket

      Delete
  4. That mincemeat and apple crumble looks so good with the custard on top - a perfect cold weather treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - the dessert was great for this cold snap

      Delete
  5. Oh I really want mincemeat (fruit mince) now! And the weather is co-operating for me too - it's cold and rainy here so this would be perfect!

    Delia Smith says her mincemeat lasts for years, and I've certainly used her recipe the year after it was made! My mum always makes her mince pies with stars on the top - I think like you she was trying to use less pastry and get more filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline - sorry to hear it is cold and rainy in your summer - I have heard about fruit mince lasting for ages but I was worried about mine lasting because it didn't have any sugar but included a fresh banana - so I am quite impressed by it lasting 6 months - guess the sugar in the dried fruit have done the trick

      Delete
  6. That's a sweet story about dragons and lions. Nice use of leftover fruit mince. Thank you for contributing it to Weekend Herb Blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)