Saturday 28 April 2012

Preston farmers market

We went to Preston Farmers Market for the second time today.  Our previous visit was in September.  Back then it was a grey day and we were all feeling poorly.  Today the sun shone, we sampled food, filled our bag with vegetables and watched Sylvia kick off her shoes and play in the sandpit.

It is a smaller local affair than some of the farmers markets I have visited.  This is not a bad thing.  It doesn't take ages to walk among all the stalls but there is plenty of food on offer.  The market is held in a primary school, which adds to the feeling of it being in the midst of its community.  This is a relaxing place to shop, with plenty of space to sit by the children's playgrounds.  In September there was a petting zoo for kids to see all the little animals.  That was gone today but there were pony rides and face painting.

The stalls today were slightly different from the ones in September.  Most noticeable was the appearance of the apple stall.  Who could resist the beautiful display of shiny red apples in barrels!  One of the pleasures of this time of year is a crisp Fuji apple.  I walked away with a bag of them.

Another seasonal pleasure is pumpkins.  Actually I eat them all year round as they are always available.  But autumn is the traditional season for pumpkins so it feels right to eat them at this time of year.  I didn't buy any of the little pumpkin nuggets but they are so cute.

Unlike most farmers markets I have visited, this one only had one vegetable stall.  Yet it is full of variety, colour and interest.  Last visit I purchased carrots in hues of orange, yellow and purple.  I bought another colourful bunch today.  I also purchased leeks, potatoes, golden beetroot and corn from the vegetable man.

The rest of the market has stalls selling pizza, chai and spices, jam, tarts, honey, bread, soap, pet food treats, and Turkish savouries.  We grabbed a casual lunch while Sylvia played.  I bought a small vegetable tart for her that I ended up eating.  We shared a corn on the cob (not cheap at $4.50) and she had a seeded bread roll.  E got a sausage from the Sausologist and was very impressed.  Last time there were stalls selling Bretzels and little cakes but they were absent today.

The band was also absent today - or were we just there at a different time?  In September a stall was selling blood oranges.  Today there was one selling fat juicy strawberries.  Sylvia had a lovely time sampling strawberries and bread. 

In my notes from September, I jotted down that Sylvia was grizzly because she was ill and that I went home from the market to have a sleep because I was so tired.  Today was a different trip altogether.  Happier.  Sunnier.  We had plenty of energy left after the market.  After gathering our wares, we headed out to Eltham ... But that is another story!

Preston Farmers Market
Bell Primary School
Corner Scotia Street Oakover Road, Preston
9am - 1pm, 4th Saturday of every month
http://www.inseasonmarkets.com.au/market/marketpage/preston-farmers-market

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really enjoyable farmers market. Those apples look superb - we're coming into soft fruit season here, but I will miss apples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline - good apples are a beautiful thing! I haven't really been missing stone fruit too much because I love all the apples around right now but once they wane I really miss stone fruit

      Delete
  2. What a lovely market - the smaller ones are often delightful in a way that is quite different to the big affairs. It sounds like this one is very family friendly and the photos you took of vegetable and fruit offerings are beautiful. I like Pink Lady apples more than Fuji but with that sort of presentation, I think I'd have taken any variety! I'm glad you were able to enjoy this visit more than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I love Pink Lady too but Fuji have the best crunch of the reds. Pink Ladies were in the ones on offer and I was tempted to buy some of them too. And I loved the market - even thought of you when I saw all the coloured carrots!

      Delete
  3. I have so longed, longed to find nugget pumpkin with which to make lil cute stuffed pumpkin for dinner! I'm envious that you even had the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - wish I could have bought a few and sent them your way :-) We have them in the supermarket every now and again - but at the moment they have small pumpkins and two different labels so I am so confused about what they are called!

      Delete
  4. Wow what a favulous market! Im so jealous, markets round here are pretty poor. All the fruit and veg looks so fresh and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - we are spoilt for choice with Melbourne's farmers market - very lucky indeed!

      Delete
  5. Wasn't it a gorgeous day yesterday - perfect for a farmer's market. I didn't know they had one at Preston. The apples in the barrels look fabulous - I want to dive into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - yes gorgeous - it is the time of year when you really appreciate a sunny day! I think the Preston Farmers Market is fairly new - and a different experience from the nearby hectic Preston Market

      Delete
  6. What a lovely market this is! The produce looks great & is in abundance too!
    Thanks for sharing this with us! :) I love going to good markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie - markets are great - far more of an outing than a chore

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)