Monday 30 January 2012

WW Iced Apple Chamomile Tea

A couple of weekends back when it was sweltering hot, I had requests for treacle scones.  The spirit was willing but the flesh was wilting.  Instead I made a cool drink based on one that I had first encountered at a potluck last year.  K had brought along a chamomile lemon iced tea

I had some chamomile apple tea so it seemed fitting to add some apple juice that I had in the fridge.  I drained all I could from a bottle of maple syrup (rather than making maple syrup ice cubes like K).  Next time if I am low on maple syrup, I might even try some honey, which is a more traditional partner of chamomile.

I found that the taste of the chamomile was rather strong after steeping the tea for 10 minutes.  Later I checked my packet and it said to steep it for 2-3 minutes, which I think I might try next time.  Lastly I added a generous handful of ice cubes and some soda water. 
 
It was refreshingly cold and not too sweet.  E was not interested but Sylvia and I loved it.  We drank it while watching Mary Poppins.  I confess that I had hoped the chamomile might even help Sylvia sleep.  When I was a student I went through a phase of drinking lots of chamomile tea until I got so sleepy that it really wasn't helping me study.  No such luck with Sylvia.  She seems sturdily resistant to sleep lately.  Who can blame her on hot night!  At least the drink cooled us down!

I am sending this to Ricki for her Wellness Weekends.  I know she will appreciate me sharing a bit of summer!  Also thanks to everyone who sent in ideas on water bottles in my previous post.  I now need to spend a bit of time reading up on the different bottles.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: BBQ tofu like an Aussie flood
This time two years ago: WHB: Tomato and Peach Relish
This time three years ago: Hot weather, hopeful politics and summer food
This time four years ago: Wendy’s Apple Green Tea

Iced Apple Chamomile Tea
Adapted from In the Mood for Noodles
Serves 8-10

2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup loose leaf chamomile tea
2 cups apple juice
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup maple syrup, or to taste (or use honey for a more traditional taste)
about 4 cups soda water
lots of ice cubes

Steep tea in boiling water for about 10 minutes (or according to packet).  Strain and discard tea leaves.  Add apple juice, lemon juice and maple syrup.  To serve, half fill a glass with the apple tea drink.  Add a handful of ice cubes and fill with soda water.

On the Stereo:
The versatile Martin Denny

22 comments:

  1. That sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K - loved your recipe - still intending to make this just with lemons when mine on the tree ripen

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Johanna, I DO appreciate the little glimpse of summer! We've had a mild winter, it's true, but. . . it's still winter. ;-) Thanks for submitting to WW this week as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricki - our summer is mild too but that suits me - you really can have too much heat - and am so glad the comments are working for you now I have taken off the moderation

      Delete
  3. PS I am loving the new comment function (since it works for me--ha ha!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmmm - this sounds lush!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a refreshing drink to beat the summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great summer drink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a fan of chamomile tea but this recipe sounds delicious - I'm sure with the syrup and apple juice it would taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - if you don't like chamomile I wouldn't steep it so long but herbal teas (I have tried a similar one with green tea) give a refreshing edge to a sweet drink - highly recommend it

      Delete
  8. Definitely the right decision with regard to the weather! I love the idea of apple chamomile tea too - it isn't something I've seen before. Pity it didn't help induce a sleepy toddler, but it sounds like this was a winner in most other regards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I bought the apple chamomile tea at a great tea shop in Orange when we visited there last year but I haven't used it as much as I intended to and in summer I drink very little hot tea so a cold tea seems a good way to use it

      Delete
  9. It has been so hot here and all I want to do is reach into my computer for a glass of that! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - well if willy wonka can make it work with the telly surely we can do it with the computer!

      Delete
  10. This sounds lovely with the apple juice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How creative! Yes, the baking I've done lately has all taken place at my parents' air-conditioned house, not my sticky-humid one! I do enjoy the odd cuppa chamomile but alas, it's never helped with my sleeping problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - we have put on the air con occasionally when I have been baking - though I haven't done too much since christmas - I was drinking far more than the odd cup of chamomile when I found it making me sleepy - you know that drink to avoid study routine!!!

      Delete
  12. Yum!
    You are indeed very creative & this lovely drink looks so appetizing & refreshing at the same time! :)
    I am so going to make this when summer is here! thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not really a big chamomile fan but I can see how this would be super refreshing. maybe i'd like it more with apple mixed in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I suggest not steeping your tea too long but a little more apple might help too

      Delete
  14. I absolutely love flavoured teas. This sounds like the perfect refreshment for a hot summers day! I would probably drink it warm over here in freezing-cold England right now, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds delicious, I may try it with another type of tea (I'm not to big into chamomile) Hmmm, maybe some rooibos :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)